The majority of our clients have a massage for pain relief and relaxation.The direct pressure and movement created from massage causes positive physiological responses from the soft tissues, nervous system and all other systems in the body. Read on for more of an insight into the physiological effects of massage.
How can massage help?
- Increases joint mobility.
- Relieves muscular tightness, stiffness, spasms and restrictions in the connective tissue.
- Increases flexibility in the muscles due to muscular relaxation.
- Increases blood circulation bringing more oxygen and nutrients into the muscle. This reduces muscle fatigue and soreness.
- Promotes rapid removal of toxins and waste products from the muscle.
- Improves circulation.
- Helps temporarily reduce blood pressure, due to dilation of capillaries.
- Decreases the heart rate due to relaxation.
- Reduces oedema (excess fluid in the tissue) by increasing lymphatic drainage and the removal of waste from the system.
- Regular massage may help to strengthen the immune system, due to increase in white blood cells.
- Reduces pain by stimulation of the nerves and the release of endorphins (body’s own natural pain relieving hormones).
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, helping promote relaxation and the reduction of stress.
- Improves circulation to the skin, increases nutrition to the cells and encourages cell regeneration.
- Increases production of sweat from the sweat glands, helping to excrete urea and waste products through the skin.
- Massage deepens respiration and improves lung capacity by relaxing any tightness in the respiratory muscles.
- Slows down the rate of respiration due to the reduced stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.
- Increase peristalsis in the large intestine, helping to relieve constipation, colic and gas.
- Promotes the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system, which stimulates digestion.
- Reduces stress and anxiety by relaxing both mind and body.
- Creates a feeling of well-being and helps to improve positive body awareness.
For more information or to make a booking, contact Village Health on 02 9452 2292 or click here to make an online booking.