Q) What exactly is a DIETITIAN?
A) Accredited dietitians (APD) specialise in both medical nutrition therapy of complicated diseases, as well as lifestyle-focused management of health and well-being. Dietitians go through extensive training (minimum 4 years university degree), plus ongoing life-long professional education to keep up to date with the latest in food and health science.
Q) What about nutritionists?
A) Anyone can in fact call themselves a nutritionist when they’ve completed as little as a 2-day nutrition course.
Q) Are dietitians food police?
A) Definitely NOT. Dietitians are trained in food and nutrition, as well as cooking, to help you get the best out of your eating and food choices. We practice evidence-based, so you’re assured to get the most up-to-date knowledge to maintain your health or optimally manage an existing medical condition.
Q) What’s it like seeing a dietitian?
A) All dietitians work slightly differently, but Fumi offers some unique services including:
* One-on-one consultation (ideal for chronic disease management)
* Group workshop (ideal for sporting clubs, schools and mums groups)
* Cooking workshop (ideal for sporting clubs, corporate, and friends groups)
* Shopping tours (ideal for friends groups)
* Online consultation (for anyone who cannot attend clinic in person)
Q) Who would benefit from seeing a dietitian?
A) If you’d like to know whether you’ll benefit from seeing a dietitian, take a look at this checklist. Remember, preventing a disease from happening is much better than trying to manage a disease once it’s happened.
– I want to know what’s best for myself to maintain health and wellbeing.
– I want a sustainable and sensible weight-management advice.
– I want motivation to stay on track.
– I want to raise healthy families through good food.
– I want to improve my cooking skills.
– I want to keep health economical and save money on groceries.
– I want to manage my blood sugar / blood pressure / cholesterol levels well.
– I just want to have fun with food!
Click here to book an appointment with Fumi.
On a side note, Fumi has special interest in food intolerances, arthritis, sports nutrition, and chronic disease management (diabetes, insulin resistance, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure).